Sunday, May 29, 2011

Thoughts from the outside...

  School is finished!  People who think that year round school is a good idea have never been in a school during May.  That's all I am going to say

  Had a conversation with a good friend of mine about a week ago that got me thinking.  We were talking about what it takes to be an adult and eventually what it takes to be a "MAN."  One thing that was brought up was the fact that as an adult you have to take no crap from anyone.  I disagree.  I think what is more important is how you react to said "crap."  Life is full of this crap and you have to rise above it.  A good rule of thumb is to think about what you do in a tough situation and see if you think it would make your parents/kids/spouse proud.  If so you did a good job.  If not, rethink it and see what you could do differently next time.  But please don't be one of those people who wallows in their self doubt and beats themselves up, you are an adult stop acting like a child.  Learn from your mistakes and make yourself better.

  Speaking of making yourself better I recently had a funny workout.  I was supposed to squat 225 lbs. once.  I decided to do it 10 times.  I did it, walked out of the garage and puked on the street.  Then proceeded to drive to the park and run 10 hill sprints.  Slept like a baby that night, but it made me better.  My neighbor has asked me if he could workout with me.  I told him he could.  After he saw this workout he told me he would probably be better off at the YMCA.  :)

In honor of the CDC putting out their "How to survive a zombie apocalypse" information, these are my top zombie movies.

1.  Shaun of the Dead-  rented it on a whim.  It has since become one of the best comedies ever and the distant son of Young Frankenstein.  It has everything from zombie action, hilarious bits and great characters, even romance.  Probably the best zombie movie I have seen.  How does a movie make me laugh to tears during the "Kill the Queen" scene and then make me cry when Shaun's stepdad is bitten?  Great movie.

2.  Night of the Living Dead (original)-  I know that the gore is all old pieces of meat from a butcher.  the butcher even appears as a zombie in the film.  I know that the ending is pretty stupid.  But i can't help but love this movie.  Equal parts terrifying for what it shows and what it hides.  I still get chills when the survivors go upstairs and plug in the radio and listen as the news anchor is speechless as to what is causing the "dead to rise from their grave."  The remake is more action packed and has a lot better special effects, but it lacks the mood of the original.

3.  Dawn of the Dead (remake)-  This is a zombie movie on steroids.  Amazing opening scene.  Crazy amounts of action.  The first 15 minutes of the movie is worth the price of admission alone.  I saw this in college with my wife.  We both liked it.  When we walked out of the theater we almost sprinted to the car we were so sure that zombies were going to come chasing us.  Best use of a bus ever in a movie.

4.  28 Days Later-  Danny Boyle has done some great movies (Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire) and even won a Oscar.  But my favorite movie of his is a very tense, realistic depiction of a zombie outbreak.  28 Days Later never got the popularity it deserved in theaters but It redefined horror movies.  It was shot using a handheld camera and it never gives you a great view of what the zombies (infected) look like.  That adds to the terror.  The opening scene of Cillian Murphy walking through an empty London is amazing.  A very emotional film.  Brilliant from start to finish.

  Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment